Compass has specialised in holiday lodge insurance for over 40 years, so we know a thing or two when it comes to protecting them.

We insure thousands of satisfied holiday lodge owners across the UK and as experts in the market, our policy includes important covers that you won’t always find elsewhere.

Our policies are comprehensive, and our prices are super-competitive too! So, if you’re looking for the best cover at the right price, we’re here to show you the way!

Get your holiday lodge insurance quote online, or speak to our friendly team.

Existing customers login to your account

Some of the key features of our holiday lodge insurance product are:

Structure sums insured up to £500k

New for Old for structures up to 25 years old
(we will consider older structures on a case by case basis)

Market value cover available

Additional costs up to £15,000 towards the removal of a damaged holiday lodge and the siting and connection of a replacement included automatically

£5m Public Liability

Our holiday lodge insurance also covers:

  • Damage as a result of storm, flood, frost and escape of water, in addition to the usual insured perils

  • Frost damage and escape of water during the winter months with reduced excess (providing a park-approved drain down and reconnection service is used)

  • Cover for accidental damage

  • Costs for alternative accommodation if your holiday home becomes uninhabitable

  • Loss of rent, or pitch fees payable for any period your structure is uninhabitable

  • Accidental damage caused by pets, vermin and insects

  • Cover for contents in the open or in an outbuilding

  • Optional cover for Legal Expenses, coming soon

  • Lowest excess level in the market from £50

  • Option to make your premium more affordable and spread your payments over 10 months via Direct Debit

  • Option to buy, renew and manage your policy online

  • Optional cover for Leisure Equipment and Gadgets available, from £50 per year (various options available)

Landscape with small village seen from above

Why do I need Holiday Lodge Insurance?

For many people, their holiday lodge is their happy place.

Unfortunately, holiday lodges are susceptible to damage from storms or floods. In the winter, they are vulnerable to damage from frozen or burst pipes that results in water escaping when unoccupied. Additionally, as they are often left unattended for long periods of time, they can also be a target of break-ins and thefts.

Even the most diligent and careful holiday lodge owners can suffer accidents or damage and that’s why it’s important to have specialist insurance that will cover the costs if the worst does happen.

When choosing your insurance cover it is important to:

  • Make sure you have considered all the costs and properly estimated your cover requirements, click here to read our handy guide to getting your sums insured right
  • Make sure you are comparing like for like when looking at providers, you can read our article on comparing products and cover here.

Holiday Lodge Insurance

For Policy Documents purchased directly with Compass

The following link is to our current Holiday Caravan and Holiday Lodge insurance policy wordings and Insurance Product Information Documents (IPID). Policies from the 1st December 2023 onwards will include reference to our optional add-on legal expenses insurance. For versions that pre-date June 2021 please get in touch with our team.

Click here for Direct Policy Documents

Holiday Lodge Insurance

For Policy Documents purchased directly with your Park

The following link is to our current Holiday Caravan and Holiday Lodge insurance policy wordings and Insurance Product Information Documents (IPID). For versions that pre-date June 2021 please get in touch with our team.

Click here for Park Policy Documents

Should things go wrong, Compass is always here for you.

Our friendly claims experts will manage your claims from beginning to end. Make a claim here


What is “New for Old” cover?

If you insure your holiday lodge with Compass on a new for old basis, your holiday lodge will be replaced* with the most recent, brand-new model (or an equivalent) following a total loss.

Similarly, if you were to make a claim for an irreparably broken window, you could expect a brand-new replacement window.

*It is important to note that this is Sums Insured dependent. Click here for more details on how to accurately calculate your Sums Insured.

What does “Sums Insured” mean?

Your “Sums Insured” is the total amount of money you’re insured for. On a Compass policy:

  • Your Structures Sums Insured is the total amount that your holiday lodge (and associated structures, e.g., steps and decking) is covered for.
  • Your Contents Sums Insured is the total amount that the contents you keep at your holiday lodge are insured for.

Together these form your Total Sums Insured.

What is “underinsurance”?

Underinsurance applies if your holiday lodge is inadequately or insufficiently insured. Following some recent market research, it has come to our attention that the cost of purchasing a new holiday lodge has greatly increased over the past few years.

Being underinsured can greatly affect how a claim is dealt with. For example, if a customer insures a holiday lodge for £100,000, but we subsequently discover a brand new equivalent model costs £200,000, they are underinsured by 50%. If a total loss claim occurs, we would only pay 50% of the sums insured, in this case £50,000. This would leave the customer £170,000 short to get a brand-new equivalent holiday lodge. We obviously want to avoid this type of scenario, therefore it is very important that you have the correct amount of cover.

On a New for Old policy, your Total Sums Insured (see previous FAQ) needs to be:

  • enough to buy you a brand-new replacement/equivalent for your current holiday caravan/lodge (or an equivalent) on your current pitch on your park.

Click here to find out more about the consequences of underinsurance.

I don’t know how much to insure my holiday lodge for. Can you tell me?

Compass provides policies on a “non-advised” basis, which means we are not allowed to tell you how much your holiday lodge should be insured for.

However, there are lots of ways to work out how much to insure for. For example, you can look at similar units for sale on your park, or just ask your park owner, who should be able to help you come up with an appropriate figure.

What sorts of contents do I need to insure?

Contents can range from televisions to crockery. Please see our handy guide to contents cover here.

I rent out my holiday lodge. Can you insure it?

Yes. Compass can cover your rented-out unit, as long as you follow all of the rules your park may have in respect of renting. So, in other words, your holiday lodge will not be covered under the Compass policy if you do not comply with your park’s renting rules.

During the periods that your holiday lodge is hired out, some of the covers provided under your Compass policy will be affected. For example, there is a higher excess for malicious acts or vandalism if this is caused by someone hiring the unit from you.

We also provide cover for loss of rent if your structure is uninhabitable as a result of loss or damage covered in the policy, there are some limits and conditions to this cover which are detailed in the policy wording.

What is “Market Value” cover?

If you opt for market value cover for your holiday lodge and subsequently have to make a claim for damage or loss, the “market value” principle will be applied.

For example, following a total loss, you would receive a payment for the market value of your holiday lodge immediately prior to the loss (which may not equate to the Sums Insured amount stated on your policy schedule).

Similarly, if you were to make a claim for an irreparably broken window, you would receive a claims payment for the market value of the window (i.e., the payment would be unlikely to cover the cost of a brand-new equivalent).

As an alternative to market value cover, Compass offers New for Old cover. Please click here for more information.

Are my contents automatically covered under my Compass policy?

No. Your contents will not be insured under your Compass policy unless you specifically request cover for them.

What’s the minimum amount I should insure my holiday lodge for?

A recent analysis (2021) of the market showed that in most cases, it would cost a minimum of £25,000 to replace a damaged holiday lodge with a brand-new equivalent.

This means that if your “Sums Insured” (the amount your holiday lodge is insured for) is less than £25,000, you could be under-insured.

To check, ask your park owner if your Structure Sums Insured amount is enough to buy you a brand-new replacement/equivalent for your current holiday lodge (or an equivalent) on your current pitch on your park.

Is my decking/steps/hot tub/shed etc covered under my Compass policy?

Yes. Under a Compass policy, these additional structures are included within the definition of ‘Structures’. But don’t forget to add them to your Structures Sums Insured amount, otherwise you could end up being underinsured.

What about my valuables?

Good question! Depending on what they are and what they’re worth, your valuables aren’t automatically included in your contents cover. Our policy covers valuables up to 25% of your contents sum insured, with a maximum amount of £500 for a single item.

I lost my keys and had to replace my locks. Can I claim?

Yes. Under the Compass Holiday Lodge Policy, the Insurer will pay up to £500 for replacement locks and keys. Please see the Policy Wording for more information.

What our customers are saying

Insights and updates from Compass

Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about news and special offers